View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I've been here a while

Points: 35,479, Level: 27 Points: 35,479, Level: 27 Points: 35,479, Level: 27

Re: We both have depression. - February 22nd 2017, 11:06 PM

Hey Jamie,

You are not stupid. It is absolutely alright to have these concerns. To be honest, I used to be scared of even being friends with someone who has depression because I didn't want to trigger them. But honestly, if you go about it the right way, it can prove to be beneficial for both of you.

Being in a relationship means having someone you can turn to for support and even though we refuse to accept it, we all require support when we are depressed. I agree with what's been said above. Before you commit to a relationship, talk to each other and set up boundaries. With time you will learn to trust each other and you can become each other's support systems.

But, I also want to tell you this won't be easy. There might be days when you will both hit your lowest but will have to stay strong for each other. I am sure you will pull through but I just want to put it across so you will be prepared.

I understand your fear about cutting but to be honest, it can work the other way too. In case one of you is triggered and on the verge of harming, calling the other and talking to them can be a helpful source of distraction. You could also set SH free goals together. I know of a couple that did that. They started off being deciding on a day, then two and slowly pulled it through the week.

Recovery from depression and self-harm is a long road but with the right support, it is possible. I am sorry I strayed off topic here but I just wanted to tell you that you can be in a relationship with someone who is depressed. If you care for each other, there is nothing wrong in being in a relationship.

I hope this helped. Good luck.
Kav.