View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Anxiety came back - March 9th 2017, 07:27 AM

There's something called Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) you could try.

The basic idea is to force the brain to rewire itself so you think positive thoughts instead of negative thoughts. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard some people espouse the idea.

Another thing to possibly try is Mindfulness Meditation. There's an app called "Headspace" that gives a good free introduction to this.

Counseling didn't really help? Maybe try a different counselor?

There's anti-anxiety medications, but they're mostly a band-aid fix, meaning they may reduce anxiety, but they don't really fix whatever the underlying problem is. That's something a good counselor might be able to figure out.

Interesting that the problem just got better, for no apparent reason, and then returned. Could it be exercise? Maybe try going on a walk once in a while. (A calm soothing place to walk can also help. You get both exercise and a calm soothing place.)

Anxiety is probably coming from the emotional midbrain, which doesn't really have the capacity to verbalize things, it just communicates by making us feel certain ways. It can be not happy, even when the rational part of our brain says everything is fine there's no need to ba anxious. The rational part of our brain needs to figure out why the more primitive emotional part isn't happy and feels anxious, even when there's really no reason for it. Again counselors are supposed to figure these things out.

I know depression can cause anxiety as a side effect, and when the depression is fixed the anxiety goes away too.

Anything that helps activate the Parasympathetic Nervous System can help combat anxiety. (You can research ways to do that.)

Best wishes! Hope you feel better soon!