View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Lunches for work - March 12th 2017, 05:12 PM

I'm going to copy my reply from another post but add a few things onto it!

I'm vegetarian and two of my siblings can't have dairy and another is lactose intolerant so it's easier to make them all things without dairy. None of us are massively fond of sandwiches either so we never make them for lunches. The only one who likes them is my brother but he can't have any nut butters at school so we never do them. But rather, we will sometimes send leftovers or make something new for lunches and then send a piece
And fruit, I always cut up fruit for me and my siblings for lunches/snack break. They get daily: an apple (either sliced or cubed depending on who), oranges (either mandarin or navel) or a grapefruit, strawberries, kiwi, pomegranate, pineapple, and a melon of some kind. (I do this the night before and toss it with some lemon juice to keep the apple from going brown) and make a fruit salad sort of. They can eat some this at their nut break or save it for lunch.
I also will send them with some kind of granola bar (we usually make our own or for a special treat like once every two weeks they get a cliff z bar) or dried fruit or a homemade fruit leather.

Now onto some food ideas:

(If there is milk, it is usually cashew or some other dairy alternative)

Buddha bowls: I usually do lettuce, kale (baby it's not as tough), spinach, collard, watercress, mushrooms, cucumbers, peppers (red, yellow and orange), broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, brown rice or quinoa (depending on what I'm feeling like) and then roasted chickpeas (I make a big batch in the oven with herbs and spices and a dash of coconut oil and that way I don't need to make them every day) and sometimes I will cook up some tofu.

Salads: I usually just throw in veggies and sometimes some vegetarian chicken strips and such, my siblings favourites are brussels sprout and kale salad, chickpea lentil radish salad, kale edamame and quinoa, pomegranate salad, strawberry spinach and quinoa salad, ect.

Zoodles, spaghetti squash, ect with either homemade pesto or tomato sauce (usually from dinner left overs) or pasta with roasted veggies (like peppers, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, ect)

Wraps: lettuce, kale, spinach, mushrooms, watercress, alfalfa sprouts, shredded carrots, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, pickles, tofu and some dressing (we use this semi local greek dressing that has no dairy in it that I think you can buy online) or sometimes we will use one that we made or falafel wraps (we make our own falafels but you can buy them), collard green wraps with sweet potato and chipotle black beans, beetroot leaf And yoghurt flatbreads, ect.

Soup/chilis: Minestone, black eyed pea soup, butternut squash, bean, black bean and sweet potato chilli, ect (I can give recipes if you would like)

Smoothies: I like putting things like kale, spinach, celery, strawberries, ect with chia seeds with coconut youghurt and kombucha.

Muffins: We make muffins with applesauce, flax seed, fruits (depending on the type like banana or apple or carrots) with no eggs or dairy and very little sugar. You can do muffins with non dairy alternatives as well. (Again I can give you recipes if you want lol)

Pancakes: This sounds weird but my siblings love bringing pancakes for lunches with berries or jam or very rarely, syrup. Their favourites are green smoothie pancakes sent with a side of either strawberries, raspberries or blueberries (we buy loads in the summer and freeze them so when we melt them they have this syrup sort of so they don't need to use syrup), apple protein pancakes with chopped apple with cinnamon and lemon, oatmeal pancakes with berries, or just protein pancakes with berries lol. Again, I can give recipes if you want lol.

Burritos: beans, rice (brown, sometimes spanish rice), lettuce, veggies, salsa.

Pizza: usually leftovers but things like pizza with a cauliflower crust (it really is good), eggplant pizza crust (like sliced and then topped with sauce and toppings), ect,

Croissants are also an option. Umm, if you like banana/zucchini bread you can make that as well.