View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Go0p Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,589, Level: 8 Points: 3,589, Level: 8 Points: 3,589, Level: 8

Angry Total loss claim check taken by parents - March 23rd 2017, 02:21 PM

Quick background, I moved in with my mom and my stepdad this past summer when I turned 18. My step dad gave me a car as a gift when I moved in. They have been really helpful and I'm very appreciative of that. The car, however was not registered under my name, it was registered under my grandma's name but everyone in the family was aware the car was mine. Also I was put in an insurance policy with my grandma, I was just listed as a driver of the vehicle. I was the only person who ever used my car and no one else.I was in a car accident on 02/28/2017, almost a month ago today. I was not at fault as the other person was given a ticket, and it also says on the police report that the other person was at fault. My car was declared a total loss. The repairs were going to cost about 80% of the value of the car. Before I started the total loss claim process my mom said I should declare the car as total loss that way I can buy another car and pocket whatever I had left. That's exactly what I did Being my first car, the value of the car was $5.5k, but I have a $1k deductible, so my insurance company wrote a check for $4.5k in my name and also my grandma's name. When we settled, I told my mom I had made arrangements to test drive some cars. I was going to see which car was in the best condition before purchasing it. Immediately after I said that, my mom said "you're not going to buy the car you want", I asked her for a reason but her reason was simply "because no." I was furious because she basically lied to me. She took the check from me, I never actually had the check in my hands. She said she was going to use it to pay some debts she had and my step dad was going to use some of the money to pay some debts he had. She also said they were going to give me a car, a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. However, the car was declared as total loss back in 2009, and had been in the junk/salvage loop until early 2016. That's when my step-dad bought it and had it fixed. I've test driven the car and I don't like it. The engine light is on, there are scratches all around the car, one of the lights is burnt. The car also has 121,033 miles on it. To me, the car is in alright condition. What's even more messed up is that they weren't going to tell me this car was in an accident before and that it took serious damage. I figured out all the information about the car because I took a picture of the VIN number and did some research. I got information from the websites such Carfax, Kelly blue book, Edmunds, DMV, Cars.com, and also a VIN lookup site. They took a $4.5k check from me for a car that's worth $3.5k according to Carfax and even LESS according to KBB and Edmunds. I have voiced my thoughts on the car to my mom, I've told her I don't want the car and that I can buy one myself. The money was supposed to be strictly only to buy another car, in my opinion. I don't want to take any legal action, because that would be messed up and I don't think I can based on the situation? One more thing, when I asked my step dad if the car had been in an accident before he said it was only the bumper that got messed up, then I countered saying that I knew the car had been a total loss so it had to be more than just the bumper. He didn't say anything back but the fact he wasn't going to tell me the car had taken severe damage is sketchy. Now, I have two options as of right now, I can either get on my high horse and refuse the car, or I can ask for about $1k back. They told me I would have the car by this PAST Saturday (03/18/2017) but it wasn't ready, then they said Wednesday, that didn't happen. Now they're saying they don't know when I will get the car. I work one hour away from where I live, I have things to do such as going to the clinic, the dentist, run personal errands and I need a car ASAP. Is there anything I can do? What would you guys do in my situation? Sorry for the long read, but I really appreciate any help/advice. Thank you.