View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Total loss claim check taken by parents - March 23rd 2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go0p View Post
I 100% agree with your statement about the check belonging to me and my grandma. What if my grandma decided to give 100% of the money to my parents even though my name and signature were on the check? Can I claim 50% of the money?

The car handles well, the engine is more noisy than it's supposed to be, there are some sounds coming from the tires that sounds like two metallic pieces rubbing together, there's a stranger noise coming from the driver's side as well. Last but not least the engine light is on which could be something serious, but I refuse to pay for the repairs out of my own pocket.

What I want to do is ask for 1k back and also get the car as they will be keeping 3.5k which is the value of the car according to Carfax and other websites using the vin number. Now, I would not get a car with 1k because that 1k I would strictly use it to pay for college not anything else. But I agree with everything you have said, a car is car and it would do its job. until it breaks down which is more likely to happen with this car because it has had a lot of work done to it.
I am not sure how that would work, but since both your names were on the check, I do think the honorable thing for your parents to do would have been to keep your grandmother's half and given you your half. Do you think you can talk to them about it?

I think asking for 1k back and keeping the car, and using it until it breaks down on you is fair. You might be able to get at least a little bit of use out of it until you need to look for something else. I think as far as breaking down goes, you could cross that bridge when you come to it. It seems like having more issues with it down the line are inevitable but it could work for a little while. It might come to a point where the cost of the repairs exceed the value of the car, and when it does get there, it will make more sense to get something else and perhaps your parents could help you with that.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers