(#3 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: Can I drive if I'm taking medication? - April 30th 2017, 02:57 AM

Usually with prescribed medications, there's no laws preventing you from driving while taking them. With any medication though, you should know how it affects you before you drive after taking it. Some psychiatric medications can cause drowsiness or dizziness (among other things) and it can be dangerous to drive after taking them.

I'm not sure if you could get a DUI if your medication made you drowsy enough to impair you and then you drove, but you shouldn't drive after taking it if it does anyway because that endangers you and other drivers.

If the medication does make you drowsy, just make sure you don't drive afterwards. For example, if it's a medication that you take before bed you should be fine to drive after you wake up until the next night when you take it. Not all medications have the same side effects, so I would highly recommend talking to the doctor prescribing the medication about any side effects that could occur and also ask about driving while taking it.

As a rule of thumb though - if it's a new medication I wouldn't drive after you take it for the first week or so. Then you can gauge the side effects (if any) and how much they affect you.

“Peace is power”
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.