View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: Telling parents?? - June 19th 2017, 04:00 PM

Hey there Bianca!

I think telling your mom that you struggle with cutting is a great idea, and exceptionally brave! Self-injury is an addiction that gets harder to break the longer it goes on, and letting someone know about your struggle will help you stay accountable to getting help and recovering. As for the "how to" tell your mom, that's harder. If you're close with her (which I'm guessing you are), maybe approach the topic by telling her you need to tell her something that you're struggling with. Oftentimes, our parents have some idea of what's happening but can't know the full story without us telling them (my parents realized I was struggling, but they had no idea it escalated to self-harm until a school official saw my cuts). This doesn't mean they don't care, just simply that they're human. If telling her out loud is too hard, perhaps writing a note explaining the situation or asking for help through school resources. Sometimes it can be easier to explain what you want to happen to someone you're not close with, and have them pass on the information.

However you decide to tell your mom, I'm so proud of you for telling her and wanting to recover from this addiction.

If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know!

All the best!

Erin