View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: College choices? - July 15th 2017, 07:41 PM

Ok, I just realized you were choosing between majors, not colleges. Anyway, here's a glowing review for another school if you're interested.
If you're going to study computer science and you want to go abroad, one great place to go is the University of Michigan. Granted, I have ties to the university so I may be biased, but it's consistently ranked as either the number 1 or number 2 public school in America. It has an excellent reputation (its often referred to as the Harvard of the Midwest) and their computer science ranking is tied with UCLA for 13th; however, considering all the ties in the rankings at US News and World Report, their ranking is basically 7. For a public school in America, that is considered to be an outstanding ranking. As for film, USA Today ranks them #8 in the country, which is also an excellent ranking. My brother went to Michigan for film actually, and while he ended up using his second major for his career, he had a great time with the film program.
The city of Ann Arbor is very nice and there's something for everyone here. It's consistently rated as either the number 1 or 2 college town in America. The city is extremely artsy compared to every other city I've ever been to save for New York City (maybe). The city and the university are extremely multicultural with basically all* races, ethnicities, and religions represented. I personally know a ton of Asian students, and there's no reason you would ever feel ostracized based on nationality or race.
Michigan also offers a ton of financial aid, so if your parents are strapped for cash (doesn't sound like it if they're willing to loan you 80k) or if you're on your own, there is a great chance you could get financial aid. They just voted to make tuition free for anyone under a certain income. However, I don't know how that works for international students. Public schools in the US are almost always cheaper than private schools, however.
Yeah, I'd totally recommend Michigan. You'll get a fantastic education and in all likelihood you'd have a great experience there.

*Obviously, a city of 110,000 can't represent EVERY race, ethnicity, or religion in the world, but you get my point.