View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Depression or mental illness book recommendations - August 12th 2017, 05:05 AM

The impossible light was a really decent book and it's told in verse and its about a girl with an ED.

Ellen Hopkins is great and her books always tackle tough subjects.

Willow, scars - Cheryl reinfield, skin game, bloodletting - Self harm and some of these are quite triggering for some people.

Laurie Halse Anderson has some good books and she tends to deal with tough topics - Speak is about rape - Catalyst is good but exceptionally sad - The impossible knife of a memory - it's about PTSD caused by the Military- Wintergirls which is about a girl with an ED. I personally didn't like it.

Some books I have heard about but have not read them all:

Paperweight-Ed so it might be triggering
Wasted by Marya Hornbacker -ED and I have heard it's triggering
Unbearable lightness by Portia De Rossi - It is super triggering. I have actually read this one right around the time it came out.
Suicide notes- I have heard mixed things and am not sure about triggers
What I lost - It's about an ed and it's relatively new. I have heard relatively good things but have not read
Sugar- It's about a girl who has a food addiction and is overweight
Hunger by Roxane Gay - This is an adult novel and it's a memoir I suppose. She discusses a lot of topics such as her weight and her sexuality
Difficult woman by Roxane Gay - I believe it's a compilation of short stories about woman dealing with all kinds of complex issues. I have heard it is triggering
Under rose tainted skies -Agoraphobia and anxiety and it might have some other mental illnesses mentioned as well
Sad perfect - It focuses on a very different eating disorder called arfid- I should mention that some reviewers found the book harmful. I did not feel that way in the least but please take it into consideration before reading
Queens of geeks- One of the character has social anxiety and general anxiety. They also have aspergers. That is not the main focus of the book though. It's basically two love stories.
Made you up by francesca zappia - deals with schizophrenia. Wasn't my favorite.
A list of cages by robin roe - deals with abuse and one of the characters has adhd. There is a review that was done in articles if you'd like to get more information
Such a pretty face deals with a woman who was overweight and had a food addiction and then lost the weight. Discusses her struggles with losing weight and food to an extent. It was an okay book. The food addiction is the only real reason it could be considered to deal with mental health
The luckiest girl in the world by steven levonkron. This book deals with eds and he has written a few other books. They were written quite a long time ago so some of the stuff might be outdated.
Sharp objects- Has a character that self harmed but its mainly just a thriller which was interesting because the self harm wasn't the main focus
The unquiet mind by Kay Redfield Jamison- this is a memoir and she talks about her struggles with bipolar while also becoming a relatively well known therapist/psychology/researcher. Triggering because of suicide and grief

These are all the books I have read or have on my TBR on goodreads. I hope that it helps. Not all of them have mental illness as the main focus which is something I like to see in a book. Some of these are adult books so the content might not be something your parents will approve off.

If you would like to find more books you could probably do a google search for something like 'books that deal with mental illness' or 'books that deal with [insert something like self harm, bipolar etc]'