Thread: Triggering (Suicide): Bad Start to First Week of College
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Bad Start to First Week of College - August 22nd 2017, 03:02 AM

I missed the first day of all of my classes, two quarters in a row my first year of college. My very first day, I got my M/W/F and T/Th schedule mixed up. The second quarter, I got the stomach flu the night before the first day of classes. I had a history class that was two hours, and couldn't find the room so I ended up missing the whole first week.

It will be okay! If any classes you miss are small, I do recommend emailing the professor so that you keep your spot. If it's a big class, they won't even notice and it really isn't a big deal. Adjusting to college is probably going to be one of the most difficult things you've had to do, and it can be especially tough if you've got anxiety. I did as well, and I made it through. College is a huge adventure, and I promise that you'll feel better in a few more weeks. I can also promise you that most other new students are feeling pretty similar to how you are right now as well. Don't stress if you're not out being a social butterfly, just focus on adjusting and feeling better. You'll have plenty of time to make friends. In fact, I didn't end up making good friends until my third year of college! I don't think there's much I can say that will provide any immediate relief, but if you hang in there it will start to feel like home. My best piece of advice is to look for any clubs you may like to join. That's a great way to get incorporated into student life on campus.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor