View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Re: What would you look for in a school club related to disabilities? - August 27th 2017, 10:20 PM

As far as "scaring off" members, I don't know exactly how you're trying to structure the meetings but maybe on the first meeting you could ask just what people knew about disabilities to start with, before getting into the education and awareness. People with disabilities could explain their own if they chose to and everyone could kind of get a feel for the room. If you opened a voluntary discussion for people to educate others on their disability upfront, maybe it would help ease some of that tension. That would also give the able-bodied people a chance to say, "Well I have a cousin who has such and such..." and probably be a more comfortable discussion that the whole room could participate in.

All in all, I don't think someone would join a club about disabilities without knowing something about what they're going to see. I'm also pretty sure this is a college club, so I doubt that someone who is joining a disability club - let alone, going to college - is going to struggle with being mature enough to handle the different ways that people act, look, and sound.
I think it's an awesome club idea and something that is definitely necessary!

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you