Thread: Triggering: Want to take a Break from College
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Want to take a Break from College - September 14th 2017, 06:53 AM

I took less than a full load in college. I knew how much I could handle, and I did that, and it worked out well.

I liked having college classes to go to. It helped structure my days and I think that helped overall.

Especially not being overworked!

Take what you feel you can handle. Usually professors will work with you. Look into the possibility of taking an "Incomplete" for a class, if that's an option. Means you couldn't complete the class due to whatever, and you'll finish it later.

All I needed was a note from my doctor to hand the Dean. Where I live a note from a doctor is like having a stone tablet carved by God himself. Everyone bows to it! If a doctor says you can only handle X classes, then they do that.

(I think politically, bureaucratically, as long as the Dean has a note from a doctor he can point to if anyone asks why is this student not taking a full load, then the Dean is happy. Actually the Dean sealed the note in an envelope so no one could look at it. He just had a sealed envelope he could point to if anyone asked. No one ever read the note because it was in a sealed envelope. Not that I care, as I'm an open book when it comes to my depression.)

Definitely do only what you feel comfortable doing. College went OK for me because I didn't push it.

(Actually I was really depressed, so I wasn't OK, but college went OK. I varied how much I took on depending on how I was. Took slightly longer to graduate but that was OK!)