Thread: Triggering (SH): Hurting myself because of Anxiety
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Hurting myself because of Anxiety - September 20th 2017, 09:11 AM

I found Mindfulness Meditation to be helpful.

A guided meditation with a good teacher in a small group can be very restful.

Can also do meditation at home. There are guided meditations you can download on your phone. (Headspace is one. It has good animated intro videos explaining the concept at the beginning of lessons 3,5,7,9.)

Meditation may take a couple weeks of doing before noticing results. (This is because the brain apparently uses the first 2 weeks to prepare itself for change. Some of my friends found it very helpful immediately.)

Alternatives are Mindfulness Motion Exercises, such as Qi-Gong is probably the easiest. Tai-Chi is similar. Various forms of Yoga. (Therapeutic Yoga. There are so many variations on Yoga it's almost a generic term now.)

(Those Eastern Medicine people really got something that works and they know how to use it. Buddhist places often have meditation classes. Or chanting classes you could try. Chanting may be another way to get one's mind focused and off those endless circular thoughts that cause anxiety.)

Beyond that, being in a calm soothing place if there's a place you can go. The beach. The lake. The forest. Wherever.

Support groups may help with anxiety, if you can find one that doesn't cause anxiety. (Yea, ironic I know.)

The good news is the brain can actually change itself and become a less anxious brain. You can force it to rewire itself, but it takes this Mindfulness focusing one's mind on it effort. No instant cure, but keep at it and it should slowly change over weeks. Should be a noticeable change by 3 months.

In the meantime, there's distraction (watch TV, do art, anything that focus the mind off the thoughts of anxiety.) There's talking with someone. Telling someone your problems if they know how to just listen and not try to fix or come up with a solution (the listening itself is the fix. It's not that we have a problem, it's that we are having a reaction to our problem. We actually have 2 problems: there's the problem itself, and then there's our reaction to the problem. The second one we can change. Just having someone listen to us can be very cathartic.)

Best wishes.