View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Are you honest about your mental health at work and school? - September 20th 2017, 10:17 PM

It hasn't come up yet-. I usually schedule therapy around work/school- though I did have to tell a professor I had to leave early "for an appointment". I wouldn't be too embarrassed with telling a teacher that- but I would avoid telling an employer.

In the US, we have the Americans with Disabilities Act that is supposed to protect against discrimination--but too many employers here interpret it to mean ," we just need to blame something else for why we fired/didn't hire you." Discrimination is almost impossible to prove unless you have a recording of them saying "people with mental conditions aren't allowed here". They can fire you after disclosing a mental illness and then blame it on that "one time" you were 2 minutes late---not that realistic for most people, but if you have a condition that has a lot of stigma, it would not be that far fetched.

I think here in the states- you can be fired though for missing work due to appointments. ADA allows for reasonable accommodations -- but I don't think that being allowed to miss hours would be considered reasonable. And honestly, I am wondering what people do when they need to work full time?