View Single Post
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Are you honest about your mental health at work and school? - September 20th 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
I am not overly open about my mental health in school. I have met with the disability counselor and have put different accommodations in place, however. I have to meet with him once a semester and I know of a few accommodations I'd like to add. Using accommodations has been hard for me, and I am afraid he'll know I haven't used them a lot or he'll look at my grades and say I can no longer have accommodations.

One of my instructors knows and that is because one of my accommodations is sitting wherever the door is. In her class it is in the back of the room and I think she initially was confused because if I had a learning disability it would be better for me to be in the front. She took me aside to talk about my accommodations one day and due to this I just explained that I have PTSD among other things.

I did speak to her a few weeks later because I left class early and wanted to ask if I could test ahead of time because I couldn't focus and she asked why I couldn't focus.

All of my instructors will know that I have some sort of issue but they won't know what it is unless I specifically tell them what it is and I'd like to keep it that way. Not because I want to hide it, but because my mental health is such a huge part of my life and I'd like a small portion of my life to be "freer" meaning that I can kind of reshape myself to be more of me and not my mental health.

If it comes up, though, I will be honest and discuss it if needed.
It might be different in other states but GPA is not a determining factor in disability services. However, there are those that think that someone with a disability should have a lower GPA because they believe those services are for people who have learning disabilities etc. So, in a lot of instances, you have to be able to provide documentation that explains that the services aren't being used because you have trouble with school.

Also, once you are in with their services it's really difficult for them to remove you. You just have to go to them once a semester or they might remove you.

I know plenty of people who utilized the Disabled services at my college and they have 3.5 to 4.0 and never got questioned. My boyfriend utilizes those services and has been getting 3.6-4.0's consistently and they don't question it at all. That being said I am in a different state so it might be different. That being said, if you are really concerned about it you could discuss it with your disability counselor or you could talk to your therapist. He would probably have some knowledge about it as.