View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
gloves123 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 17,127, Level: 19 Points: 17,127, Level: 19 Points: 17,127, Level: 19

Arrow mental illness+dating? - October 1st 2017, 09:11 PM

So im a second year university student, and Ive never dated anyone before (if were not counting elementary school 'dating') but recently I told some of my friends that i like this guy in our program and have for some time now. They've been trying to set us up and have been being my wing men, but I don't know how to tell them I'm scared of dating this guy no matter how much i like him.
I've had a lot of issues with my mental illness in the past, something which I manage to keep my friends out of because I don't want them to worry about me. But Ive heard from other friends in relationships that it isn't good to keep that big of a secret from someone you're dating. the thing is, my stance on my mental illness is that I don't want to drag anyone I care about into it.
Not only the mental illness, but I have severe abandonment issues and have successfully sabotaged three romantic relationships within the past four months because I was so afraid of them eventually leaving when they find out about my mental illness history and realize I'm more trouble than I'm worth.
And even if I manage to keep him out of the mental illness aspect, He'd eventually see my self harms scars and ask about them.
Does anyone else deal with this sort of thing? If so, any words of wisdom?