View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Re: Getting therapy for past abuse/rape - October 14th 2017, 05:30 PM

Hi
Like Essa said, you can always ask for a new therapist. If you don't feel comfortable talking to him about switching, you could talk to the person at the front desk to schedule an appointment with someone new.
After I was raped and went to report it, I had an advocate come to the police department with me. He was a man, and while he was extremely polite and compassionate and didn't make me uncomfortable at all, I still felt like doing actual therapy was something I would want with a female therapist, even though the male advocate did therapy too. When he was telling me that I could do therapy with him, he also mentioned that if I preferred a female I could do that instead.
So they should completely understand and even expect these type of circumstances to come up.

(But as for talking to a male about it, from my experience, when I reported it, I had to report it, in extreme detail, to a male officer and in front of my male advocate, who was in the room with me. Personally I feel like that situation would've been terrible to experience no matter the sex of the people in the room, because talking about your assault is hardly ever a comfortable thing to do. And while I did feel more comfortable with my female therapist, because she could empathize with me and understand, being a rape victim herself. The detective I got for my case was a man, and he actually acted as a second therapist too, and he helped a lot.
It might take a lot, but if you're really set with this therapist, just try reminding yourself of the facts: Your therapist is a man, and the guy who assaulted you is a man. But they are not the same. One is trying to help you, while one wanted to hurt you.
We're all human and I don't think there's a single counselor who would take your experience any less seriously just because they're not the same gender as you.)

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you