View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: telling my parents - November 16th 2017, 12:34 PM

Hi there,

It's great that you want to tell your parents that you are struggling with self-harm. Something to note is that parents often have negative reactions for a variety of reasons such as not understanding self-harm or fearing for their child's safety. Many parents improve once they have had time to let it sit with them, however. Don't let this deter you from discussing it with them; it is just good to prepare yourself for the different possibilities.

How do you feel most comfortable expressing this? Do you want to verbalize it? If you do, you can ask your parents for a good time to talk to them and that will kind of hold you accountable for telling them. If not, you can write a note or bullets on what you want them to know or discuss with you.

Many parents are unsure how to help so something to consider telling them is how they can help you with this. Could they ask you how you're doing or ask about your safety, for instance? What would you find most helpful?

Best of luck with telling your parents and feel free to keep us updated.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.