View Single Post
  (#542 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Re: What are you reading now? - March 26th 2018, 10:02 AM

Last January I found out that my sister Mandy and I had been sexually assaulted by an older family member, yet at the time when we were much younger we were unaware of the severity. This impacted worse on my sister than me, so I went in search of a book that was specifically written to help teen girls like us. This book was woderful. It could give other girls hope, too.

It's called The Sexual Trauma Workbook for Teen Girls: A Guide to Recovery from Sexual Assault and Abuse (Instant Help Books for Teens)

Beneath the 'Kindle Edition' box is a link called: Read with Our Free App - It enabled me to download straight to my phone. The app made it useful because nobody in my family or anyone else's family would ever find the book. Clicking on that link reveals a small box: "No Kindle device is required. Get it from the Apple App Store, or get it on Google Play, or downloaded from Windows Store, or available for Android."

Throughout last year with nobody to talk to, Mandy and I were in despair. We felt anger, shame, fear - all sorts. But this wonderful book helped us because it could be read on phones. My aunt also downloaded it for herself because she also is a survivor, so the three of us worked on it together.

Has anyone heard of a site called RAINN? https://www.rainn.org/

They are a support organisation for survivors of sexual violence of all kinds including sexual harassment. On their website is Telephone Hotline where victims can receive confidential support from a trained staff member.

Also, support finding a local health facility that is trained to care for survivors of sexual assault.

They will find someone to help talk you through what happened, and offer local resources to assist with next steps towards healing and recovery.