View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Lunar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lunar

Points: 5,266, Level: 10 Points: 5,266, Level: 10 Points: 5,266, Level: 10

Disability support? - March 27th 2018, 04:53 PM

So, my husband and I have been talking about this for ages now, but I've been very reluctant to try. I'm 23 years old, and I feel like my age has a big part on if I'm able to get disability support. Between my anxiety, depression, and fibromyalgia it's very hard for me to even get out of bed in the morning, let alone get a job. We have a 5 year old daughter, and my husband works seven days a week without a day off. I know it's very hard on him, and I know that if I was able to get some support it would really take some weight off him, but I'd be lying if I said I was totally comfortable with trying. Now I live in the US. I've not done much research in to this, because I haven't wanted to try.

I don't think we could even afford a lawyer to help with the case let alone me be able to handle going to court? (Not sure if you actually have to go to court or not.) And honestly I think mental illnesses are so hard for people to really understand that it would be very hard for me to even try and fight a case. I've tried to work many times in the past, but every time it was very overwhelming for me. I ended up having to quit because I would have a panic attack in the middle of my shift and it would end up being a big deal. I'd have to leave and try and ground myself.

I'm not really sure what all goes in to getting disability support, but I know deep down it really would benefit my family, and myself. I'd be able to afford adequate treatment, and it wouldn't be all on my husband. I also know that you don't have to stay on disability for the rest of your life. I know that you can discontinue it at anytime, which also makes me feel a bit better knowing I wouldn't have to be dependent on it for the rest of my life if I came to a place where I was able to work.

I just have no idea what to do. I don't even really know where to begin? I don't have a therapist anymore, so I'm not sure who to even talk to, to begin the process. Any ideas? Any advice for all this anxiety surrounding this?

Please don't judge! I know this is a tricky topic for a lot, and I don't want to offend or upset anymore, I'm just really looking for some answers here. Thanks.