Thread: Toby
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Toby - April 5th 2018, 12:54 PM

I'm really sorry you have to go through this, and I think it's perfectly understandable to feel anxious and depressed over it. Giving up a pet is something that's incredibly difficult, and, unfortunately, sometimes necessary. Having a pet can be a bit of a balancing act, and in this case it comes down to balancing your needs (having a service dog) and your family's rules (only having two dogs). If your mother isn't willing to have more than two dogs in the house, then finding Toby a new home might be the safest route. However, I would recommend talking to your mother about it and trying to understand her logic behind the rule of only having two dogs. Perhaps there's some kind of compromise that can be made.

The thing to remember about having pets is that, ultimately, you have to make choices that are in the best interest of your pet, since they can't make those decisions for themselves. In this case it doesn't seem to be in Toby's best interests to continue training to be a service dog. That doesn't mean he's a bad dog; it just means that he's not suited for this particular role. If you do need to find him a new home it sounds like he'll be placed in a good one where he'll be loved and looked after, and you can take comfort in knowing that you did what was right for him. Just keep reminding yourself of that fact: you did the right thing for Toby. The separation will be hard at first, but it will get easier over time.

I hope that was helpful, and once again I'm sorry you ended up in this situation. I'm sure Toby will go on to live a happy, healthy life as a much-loved pet, and I hope that eventually you're able to look back and know that you made the best decision possible for him.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.