View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Re: Mouthwatering Main Course Recipes - April 17th 2018, 03:35 PM

Last year on a trip to Reims we stopped to park up and walk to our favourite brasserie, Café Le Gaulois and there we enjoyed a wonderful lunch. In my opinion and I know family feels the same way, but there really isn’t another dish that is as comforting as Tartiflette on a cold winter’s day. Or even a miserable rainy day anytime of the year. The combination of soft potatoes, crisp lardons, golden onions all bound in a silky cheese sauce with a tasty, crunchy golden-brown topping is absolute heaven in a bowl. It’s well worth the effort hunting out a large Reblochon cheese too, although Brie or Camembert will work if the cheese hunt proves fruitless. We like to enjoy ours with a large bowl of salad, cornichons and an acre or two of crusty bread.

Disclaimer: Be sure to follow any laws regarding alcohol purchase where you live. Do not purchase alcohol if you are under the legal age. Also, the alcohol is used for cooking purposes only and is not intended for abuse. Use discretion when purchasing alcohol. (Recipe uses 150 mls dry white wine)

For my vegetarian friends, you can of course omit the lardons (bacon) if you wish, and add some fried mushrooms maybe? The dish can be part-cooked (as in the potatoes boiled and the onions and bacon fried) and assembled, but it can then be popped in the fridge until you need to bake it – just remember to take it out half an hour beforehand to bring it to room temperature – this makes it an absolutely fabulous recipe to have prepared for any family supper, especially handy for after work or over the weekend. This recipe which I was allowed to watch being made will serve 4.

Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 25 min
and total time, 40 mins

What you need:
1.2kg potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
200g smoked lardons (or smoked streaky bacon cut into small pieces)
2 large pink or red onions, peeled and diced (or 10 pink shallots which I prefer)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
150 mls dry white wine
1 x 500g Reblochon cheese (I double the amount for loving the cheese!)
6 tablespoons crème fraiche
butter
salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6 and butter an oven-proof gratin dish or shallow casserole dish.

Boil the potatoes until just soft. Drain them and allow them to cool before cutting them into slices. Meanwhile, fry the lardons (or bacon pieces), onions and garlic until the lardons are crisp and the onions and garlic are soft and translucent.

Add half of the wine to the lardons and onion mixture, turn the heat up and de-glaze the wine for 2 to 3 minutes until half of it has cooked down with the other ingredients. Add the cooked potatoes to the lardon and onion mixture and gently mix together. Spoon half of the mixture into the prepared dish.

Cut the Reblochon cheese in half through the centre, and the cut the two halves into cubes. Scatter half of the Reblochon cheese cubes over the lardon and onion mixture, crust side up, then spoon the remaining lardon and onion mixture over the top. Pour over the remaining wine and spoon the crème fraiche over the top. Season with salt (not too much as the lardons are salty) and pepper.

Scatter the rest of the Reblochon cheese cubes over the top, crust side up again, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese has melted and the tartiflette is golden brown and bubbling. Serve hot from the oven with salad, cornichons (gherkins), pickled onions, charcuterie and crusty bread.