View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

I'm so confused about grad school loans! - May 3rd 2018, 03:57 AM

This is actually a rant, not an advice-type thing which is why it's in Why Me and not Education!

So on a whim I applied to grad school, knowing that if I get accepted and cannot afford to attend I can defer up to one year. I got accepted, yay me. I have been worrying about whether or not I can afford it though, but tonight I saw that I will be getting $10,250 per semester for this first year in loans. HOPEFULLY I don't have to borrow the same amount next year with more saving.

I'm so confused on what I'll actually have to pay though!

Cost of attendance as stated by the school on the loan section - $28,682, but this iNCLUDES board/meal allotment, room, books/supplies, and personal/transportation.
My estimates say I’d be paying 8 or 9 grand per semester. I am assuming board/meal allotment, personal/transportation, and room would not be a thing for me as I am not living there. So my estimate would be potentially more accurate? I multiplied the tuition I found for $393 and the general university fee I found for $316 for 12 credits and added the $55 registration fee and the $27 activity fee and got around $8600 per semester, IF I do not include books and supplies. I am also not living on campus so I’d assume the room/board/meal allotment do not apply to me.
So I am a bit confused on if my loans will cover everything per semester and have to call billing..

I've also been getting the runaround from financial aid in general. A few weeks ago I called my loan servicer to ask a question. They said to call another office. I call that office and they say to call the school. I email the school and they don't respond so I called them today. They helped me the best they could and told me to call the loan servicer to confirm. The loan servicer immediately told me to call the school and when I said the school literally JUST sent me, he said that the financial aid person I spoke to probably didn't know anything and contradicted everything that person said... And then said to call the school again.

I just want to know if I'm able to go to grad school this year.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive