View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Talking about self harm with my step niece - June 4th 2018, 01:52 AM

Hi,

My 17 year old step niece has self harmed in the past. She recently started again. I saw the self harm but didn't say anything since it was in an obvious place, so I was pretty sure people knew.

I got upstairs and my mom mentioned it to me again.

She prefaced this conversation by saying my step niece's phone was taken because she was sending sexually explicit messages to someone she's never met in person and also had several private accounts. This is not the first time she's done this.

I guess after that she started self harming again. My mom said she'd have me talk to her because I stopped self harming.

The problem with this is that the only reason I stopped self harming is because I secretly got myself on medication. As the depression reduced, so did my urge. Now that I'm off, the urges are back and I've had a very minor slip up (it was so minor I don't count it as a relapse). All the other tools I've used to avoid self harm involved the Internet, which she no longer has access to.

So, I'm not really sure what to say to her. ;nosweat: If my mom does have me talk to her, what should I say?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive