View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: Tips to surviving high school - August 26th 2018, 04:37 AM

Why should people take home ec? That was probably by far the most useless class I took in high school. Maybe the courses are different in your country.

I'd just like to add that people should try to take the highest levels of classes possible for getting into university if they aren't sure what they want to do. You don't want to limit yourself at the age of 14 or 15.

Take as many courses as you can in subjects like math, sciences, accounting, law, sociology, extra history courses, literature classes, drama, music etc. if at all possible. Once you get to higher grades, you tend to get more electives; I think spare periods are a waste of time, it's better to fill it with an extra credit unless you can practically use that time (e.g. if you have a job or participate in sports)

Read a lot for fun. If you can break out of the stereotypical YA novels and occasionally break out a historical fiction novel (e.g. Philippa Gregory) or get into the classics and high level novels (e.g. Jane Austin, Wilkie Collins - The Moonstone is great!, or JRR Tolkein's Lord of the Rings) and fiction, along with magazines (not fashion magazines, but ones like National Geographic), the news (biases and all), and even academic articles (you can find super interesting stuff at this website called Adademia.edu), then you're empowering yourself to become a more informed human.

When you volunteer, pick things that interest you; I've done so many weird volunteer things, mostly with kids, but also I've donated time at fitness/sports things, and much more. You can use the experience on your resume to leverage it for jobs later. If you can, try to get leadership positions because it helps.

If you can, take diet and fitness seriously. I was probably 21 before I realized I was on my way to destroying by body via the "I am young, it's fine attitude" - I still have friends who are abusing their bodies "because they can" and society makes it look normal (like, pretty sure eating piles and piles of pizza is bad for you, but consumerism wants us too, so it's ok???)