View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: Tips to surviving high school - August 27th 2018, 04:58 PM

I'd like to add that some school clubs are actually provide "useful" things. Like, if all you're doing is going to events and meetings, that's great and a perfect way to be involved BUT if you get involved with the management of the club (e.g. as the finance officer, the president, etc) then suddenly you have A) great community involvement and B) a resume item.

Trust me, I speak from experience when I saw that you really, really, really need experience to do literally anything in this world -- you practically need a masters degree and 5 years experience for an "entry" level job -- I wish I'd put more effort into things like running clubs at my high school and university because getting a job with less than 3 years experience is super hard because you don't have enough experience to be competitive (which rarely allows for exclusively retail experience, unless you need something with customer service or if you got leadership skills from it).

While the kind of finance stuff you do for a school club is probably just skimming the surface of what you do for an actual job, it's still experience you would not have otherwise and you need to start somewhere to demonstrate you are learning, able to put your knowledge into action, and that you have actual skills. Academic knowledge is great but employers want to see you have skills that can be developed.