View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Is this self-harm? thread. - September 3rd 2018, 02:33 PM

So here is is. Here are my thoughts right off the bat:

• Take the first person out of the first part.
  • Change the definition, maybe make it our own and adding more to it (maybe removing the part about how it leaves marks for more than a few minutes).
  • Expand the list a little bit and add to a method if needed, like a description.
  • Link to other helpful areas.

Quote:
Many people ask "Is this self harm?" with various scenarios they're dealing with on a daily basis. I hope to make this clear what self harm is, and what is considered self harm, and what's not.

The definition of self harm is:
"Self-injury, self-inflicted violence, self-injurious behavior or self-mutilation is defined as a deliberate, intentional injury to one’s own body that causes tissue damage or leaves marks for more than a few minutes which is done to cope with an overwhelming or distressing situation."

Anything you do to physically hurt yourself in order help yourself cope with a situation is self harm.

Things considered self harm:
-Cutting
-Burning
-Branding (Taking hot objects and putting them on your skin)
-Picking at your skin
-Scratching
-Taking off scabs/Picking at old wounds
-Pulling out hair
-Hitting
-Bone breaking
-Biting
-Multiple piercings/tattoos (Can be self harm if done for the pain)
-Drinking harmful chemicals (Just to harm body)
-Smoking/drugs (Just to harm body)

And this isn't even a full list. If you are doing any of those things, you should ask yourself if you're doing it just for the pain, or to make yourself feel better. If you are, it's probably self harm.

If you do find something you're doing is self harming, you should see a professional, such as a doctor, a therapist, a psychiatrist, or someone similar who can help you. People will understand, though not everyone will, professionals are trained to deal with situations like yours. They're there to help.

Source:
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/self_injury.htm

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers