View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: Tips to surviving high school - September 13th 2018, 04:32 PM

I just want to hop back in here.

1. someone said to hand in homework even if it isn't done. I wouldn't do that if you can avoid it. First of all, it's just a bad habit, at a job, you can't just go to a boss and be like "you asked me to handle this project today, and it's not done, but here is a half assed / half complete effort, that's fine right?" errrr no! If you're behind on an assignment, I actually recommend speaking to a teacher before it is late (preferably not the day of, but rather a day or 2 before at least). This way to you can discuss it with them, and depending on the teacher they might waive any lateness penalties they usually apply to the assignment because you showed you were being responsible and trying to manage you time and communicating with them. If they have one of those "hand it in at the beginning of class or you get a 0, you actuslly might want to look at your school's policy for lateness penalties and see if thats' even allowed, but if you know they aren't willing to bend despite your efforts to communicate, you'll know that you have to hand in an incomplete assignment to hopefully get some grades versus 0, but at least by managing your time and communicating, you'll be able to handle that better.

2. (A) College matters. It might not matter for everyone, and yes, I know of people who don't even use their education but make more money than even people with masters degrees. But for starters, it's extremely hard to get a good paying job with just high school education. Even if you don't use your college diploma or university degree, it's still going to contribute to you getting better jobs (e.g. admin jobs have the potential to pay very well but don't often require a specific degree but they almost always require post-secondary education of some kind, they're not generally hiring people straight out of high school). Of course, this largely boils down to geography, so before scrapping your college plans because it worked out for one person in your area, look up the job requirements for positions that interest you and see what kind of education is needed for them, and then go to school for it if needed.

2. (B).... In addition, don't conflate having a masters or something with instantly making a lot of money OR that doesn't make any money because it usually comes down to individual outcomes -- if you have a masters in biology, history, sociology, social work, etc. you can either make good money or shitty money. For example, a wildlife biologist (with a masters) working for the government could make $75000+ a year... but the same wildlife biologist working for a non-profit might be making $35,000. Speaking as someone who's pursuing a masters, my income could be anywhere between $45,000 (pretty low for what I want) and $100,000+!!! A few masters, like engineering, nursing, public health, public planning, or computer science are for sure associated with higher incomes, so theres that too, but that's partially due to those being fields where the incomes are higher regardless of whether or not you want ot have a masters. Some fields you need a masters to just advance into higher positions (e.g. social work, public health) for some people in those fields, it's about wanting those more advanced positions, versus being like "I have a masters, I'm going to be rich!!!!"