View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: My Bf is threating self harm - March 15th 2019, 02:19 PM

I agree wth Frankie. His reaction is horrible and sounds really manipulative. I get that maybe he's trying to make a point like "oh look if you hurt your self, I'll do it too just to show you how much it hurts for people around you" but it's 100% not ok to take that kind of approach. We're not talking some kind of minor irritating behaviour, like, I don't know, the kind of thing you're 2 year old does and you do something in return to teach them the point. We're talking about a very serious coping mechanism for a mental illness.

It's so manipulative to try to make you stop by making you scared that he'll hurt himself just as much, if not more.

It sounds like your boyfriend has a lot of his own issues and is trying to to control your behaviours that either are negative or unhealthy (e.g. self-harm) or that he perceives as negative (e.g. I know I responded to your one about your consumption of edibles). I am not sure how often this kind of thing is happening, but it sounds like it's a recurring theme. I am wondering what you guys do to spend time together. Let's assume that watching movies and having sex isn't enough. Do you guys go for walks, or go hiking? Do you play tennis, or go rock climbing? Do you guys like to play guitars together? Anything else?

Any ways, that aside, I think it sounds like the communication lines are out of whack in the relationship. For example, does he actually understand how serious your mental health issues are? Does he know what you're doing to stop self-harming? He clearly doesn't understand that manipulating you isn't going to resolve the underlying emotional and cognitive roots that lead you to self harm. It sounds like a serious conversation is needed between the two of you. He needs to respect that manipulation is unacceptable and needs to stop if this relationship is going to continue.