View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: (Pet Death) Feeling guilty about not being there when my dog was put to sleep after all these years. - August 8th 2019, 03:17 PM

I had my dog put to sleep last summer, and I did not go, nor was I in the room with her. My mom and brother were though. I don't know if this will help or not (or how true it is) but I have heard that being present and being really upset when your pet is being put to sleep can be difficult because your pet will pick up on your tension. But at the same time, that might be what some people or animals want to have in those last moments.

It's okay that you couldn't handle it at the time. Bringing an animal to the vet and walking out without it is heartbreaking. You did what was best for you at the time and that's important.

Even though she was more of your dog than anyone else's, she was with people who loved her at the end of her life and she knew you loved her too. Animals are so smart, they know things like that.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers