View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Not really sure where I'm going now. - March 14th 2020, 11:25 PM

I don't know much of your personal life, but PTSD occurs outside of the military on an exceedingly high number of occasions, often through a traumatic experience. Such experiences can cause all kinds of problems such as sleep disruption, anxiety, and much more. The military just happens to be one of the more 'common' areas of PTSD diagnosis, but it certainly isn't its limitation. For example, a friend of mine was diagnosed with PTSD due to the abuse he suffered growing up and has never served in the military. Also, you'll find a lot of members of this forum will open up and share the fact they too have PTSD, but have never served before.

I feel like your partner laughed off your diagnosis similarly to my mother when I was diagnosed with dyslexia. She claimed it was just 'word blindness' and how my high chance of having ADHD is actually because I 'have an overactive mind'. On one hand, I could say that if my mum disbelieves my diagnosis, then why should I? But to be frank, she's my mother, not a professional, and she's also someone on a family level, she's going to want what's best for me because she's known me her whole life and doesn't see my diagnosis as a 'problem', for lack of a better word. Similarly so to your partner, who sees you for you, and doesn't see that your diagnosis is the outcome of a traumatic event, or a series of them.

On a positive note, I think it's good that he doesn't see what you have as an issue and sees you as you are, but I do feel that both he and you should remember that your diagnosis was something that came from a trained professional, of which neither of you are.