View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Thistle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,703, Level: 6 Points: 1,703, Level: 6 Points: 1,703, Level: 6

Introducing Myself - May 22nd 2020, 12:07 AM

Hello everyone, I'm Spencer, and I am a fifteen year old male. I will be breaking down each paragraph into different topics; the topics are as follows: long-time current hobbies, short-lived hobbies, my backstory; (which I'll break down into three paragraphs - [I apologize for any grammar issues, along with how long this post is.]),and finally; my general personality

I have a few hobbies that I've had for a long time now, and they are: playing guitar, drawing; (albeit casually & badly), playing video games, reading, and watching Netflix.

I tend to pick up and drop hobbies very quickly; I spend approximately two weeks per hobby. The ones that were short term are: whittling, painting, coding, studying bonsai trees, cooking/baking; although baking was one that I had done for quite a few years, but I lost interest in it approximately two years ago, playing scrabble; (among a few other board games), babysitting, teaching - (to the children of family friends), gemology, pottery, astronomy, and finally learning about criminology; although this is one i still have to this day, but I don't count it because I haven't had it for very long.

My backstory/history is as follows: I am a Canadian citizen and was enrolled into preschool when I was two. All throughout elementary school, I was not what you would call a 'social butterfly', but I still had a few friends. Once I went to high school (In grade 8 when I was still 12), Most of my former friends had either found new friends, gone to a different school, or both of them. In case you don't know, Canadians do not have middle school, so it was a difficult change to adjust from elementary school to high school so abruptly. It was my first year in high school when my mental and physical health took a blow. For most of grade eight, I was becoming violently ill in the mornings due to stress about school, which I later learned that it was connected to my social anxiety. - (I'll talk more about that later.)

My parents were (understandably) frustrated due to me being Ill seemingly every school day, and suspected that I was faking it. They started sending me to school even if I was still sick, and things got worse. While in school, in order for you to succeed in your classes, you need to be able to hear and absorb what the teacher is saying, but I was unable because I was too busy thinking about what everyone would be thinking about me due to how much school I had missed. It was a vicious cycle. Halfway through grade 9 (the year after), I was going to get my blood taken for the first time. Around a week after that, my parents got a call to inform them that I had a severe case of malnutrition, and It was so bad I was informed that I was not allowed to do any exercise for the time being, to withdraw me from school, and that My parents needed to do whatever they can to feed me any calories. This is because, unbeknownst to me and my parents at the time, I had an eating disorder. To be specific, I had 'Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder', which can be easily explained as 'a very picky eater', although it is more complicated than that.

I was taken to a local children's hospital where I would have weekly therapy appointments and checkups, along with a monthly blood test. After grade 9 ended, and grade 10 started, I began going back to school, but my daily Illness came back, and I was pulled from school again. Me and my parent's started looking into different schools that could be a better fit for me, and we eventually settled on one. I started doing a gradual re-entry program at the beginning of term two (there are three terms in total). Up until Covid-19, I had begun going full-time, barring Tuesdays, as that was the day I went to the hospital. Covid-19 had made school be cancelled, (as you likely knew), and now we are brought back to now. (My history/backstory is finally over, phew!)

My personality is what I would describe as being a slightly bookish/nerdy person, socially awkward, a perfectionist, and I can come off as robotic, so I apologize if i sound like that. In case anyone here knows about the Myers-Briggs personality test, or MBTI, my personality type is INTJ-T, although the description feels like a glorified version of myself, so if you decide to read it or already know it, take it with a grain of salt.

If you've read this far, I applaud you, because this post was way longer than I intended it to be, but if you have any more questions about me that you would be interested in knowing, please do not hesitate to ask.

- Spencer