Thread: Braces!
View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Braces! - May 30th 2020, 04:52 PM

I had braces as a kid (when I turned 12) and so did my four siblings. Where I am, they were half covered by medical and then the remaining was paid out of pocket. There was a discount if you paid in full (the amount not covered by insurance) but they also had payment plans that you could use. I had many teeth removed because my mouth was overcrowded and had a retainer before I had braces which was covered by medical. It wasn’t so bad but I hated the green spacers they put in my mouth before I got the braces! I ate pretty normally but the first few days I definitely ate softer foods. I also ate all the same foods that I ate before but sometimes would cut the pizza crusts or something if they were hard and then was super careful when eating popcorn and then cleaned very well after. Other foods needed some precautions like corn on the cob (cutting off the corn), nuts at the back of my mouth away from the braces, same with hard veggies or fruits and they were cut into pieces rather than eating whole. No gum but I did eat mint or hard candy but kept it in the middle of my mouth away from my teeth and never chewed it.

The wire would sometimes poke out so I would use the wax that I got given to stop it from stabbing my cheek and then would get them to trim it. I would generally have appointments every 4-6 weeks depending on what I had done the last time or what needed to be done. I was lucky with my elastics that I only had to wear them at night minus two months where I wore them during the day. Definitely take them out when you’re eating and then replace them after because they can snap. And keep an extra baggy with you to replace them in case they snap.

It’s super important to make sure you brush and floss extremely well. My orthodontist supplied the tools for free (electric tooth brush, a water pic, proxabrushes, floss threaders, plaque chews, etc) and then at each appointment if we needed any supplies, we would just say so and get given them.

Honestly, after the first few weeks I got used to them and didn’t even notice them until I had to get them adjusted. My teeth did feel weird after I got them off though lol. I make sure to wear my retainers still at night (clear ones) to prevent my teeth from shifting back.