View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Riots in America. - May 31st 2020, 02:46 PM

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I understand the anger and frustration, and I absolutely condemn the officers who killed George Floyd. His death was senseless and cruel, and that video was almost impossible to watch; I found myself averting my eyes at certain points because it was too much. With that said, as Court mentioned, innocent people have lost their lives and livelihoods. I saw a news report that featured a small business owner, a black man himself, in tears because he had invested his life savings into his business and then had it looted. I pray that he is able to recover from it.

So, I will say that I understand and support protests, but I don't personally support the riots. I think the Martin Luther King, Jr. quote is very eloquently put, but I also heard that King said this: "Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Now, I'm no expert, so if this is mis-cited, please feel free to correct me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Yeah, my mom kept complaining today about how the riots aren’t peaceful and I basically kept saying that well, people are listening now. There have been years of people peacefully or quietly protesting. This has been building up for as long as ever and nothing has been changed. Maybe now people will listen.
One thing that I think is important to consider, though, is that there were also riots following Ferguson, and I believe there were smaller-scale ones following other shootings, like that of Philando Castile. To play devil's advocate: if it didn't work then, why should it work now?

These are just my personal thoughts and I appreciate others' perspectives as well.

~Kylie

Last edited by DeletedAccount57; June 2nd 2020 at 03:48 AM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1353635 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!