(#9 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Sudden behaviour change in family member - June 16th 2020, 07:15 PM

Update again...

So there was a huge argument between my brother and my uncle. A lot of clashes happened and it was just as well I was there, because they were swearing at one another to the point it seemed like things were going to get physical. :/

In the end after the arguing died down, I sat with my brother and had a proper chat with him. I explained how my mum and uncle were feeling because of him, and how much I've tried to also understand things from his point of view... as well as politely let him know of his snappy behaviour towards the family. He said to me that he's been honest with my mum the whole time but it's as if she refuses to listen to him and he just gets fed up constantly going on and on. He got a 2-bedroom house not because he's moving in with anybody but because it was almost as cheap as a 1-bedroom house so decided he may as well get one with 2. Part of the reason why he wants to move out is pretty much the same reason why I went to university, my mum is being terribly suffocating and he desperately just wants to move out and forward, as well as have a life. Which are all fair and valid points.

I listened to him a lot and explained a lot of the concerns the rest of the family have had but never really talked to him about, and explained that I also understand his situation because I've been in a similar position. I think being there and listening to him helped him a lot, and maybe made him feel like somebody was there to actually listen rather than constantly interrogate him by asking millions of questions my mum often does.

My brother and uncle hugged things out. Both looked like they were on the verge of tears. Hopefully with my arbitration and trying to help relay information to one another and help both of them look at things from a different perspective, tensions will ease a bit now.