View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
fandomqueen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,676, Level: 12 Points: 6,676, Level: 12 Points: 6,676, Level: 12

Helping a friend - July 25th 2020, 11:41 PM

Hey guys!

So my best friend is someone who holds herself to very high standards in terms of academics and is extremely prone to prioritizing work over her health. I know sometimes it is necessary to sacrifice some sleep when a lot of work is piled on at once, but she does it frequently. As many people, being at home for the last few months has practically made her nocturnal.

This alone is not what concerns me. She is currently applying to med school along with taking a course online and has had breakdowns occasionally. I also know she has had some in the past over coursework as well. I worry deeply about her, especially knowing that the stress will get amped up quite a bit in med school.

I do not know how to express to her that learning how to manage stress and start prioritizing her health is crucial. I know she will succeed in med school, but I don't want to see her completely sacrifice her own health and sanity to do it. I know stress coping isn't easy and especially in today's world having the occasional breakdown is, unfortunately, common.

First, I want to ask if it is even my place to do anything. I've definitely expressed concern before but never in a super serious way. Am I in my rights as her best friend to tell her she should consider developing some healthier mindsets/habits? And if I am, how do I bring this up? I don't want to sound condescending, insensitive or sound like I'm trying to be a therapist.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you! <3