Thread: Confused
View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
lyraaa

Edit avatar

Confused - September 3rd 2020, 02:55 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""][FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I'm don't know if what i have is a mental health issue but I would like to ask for some advice anyway.
I'm not sure how to describe it exactly but I find it very hard to act "normal" in public and around people. It also takes me about 5 minutes to work up the courage to ask a a stranger something e.g asking a worker in a store if they have an article of clothing in my size. Anytime that I go and speak to someone (e.g in the shop or to the driver on the bus) I start to panic because I feel like I'm going to do something wrong or make myself look weird. Sometimes it means I can't speak properly (i mess up words , my grammar is really bad and even omit words- I am a native English speaker btw) and sometimes I can't speak -my mouth will be moving but no sound will come out. Other times, I will have a mind blank and completely forget what to say. Usually when I make these mistakes, I end up thinking about it all day and I make t worse in my head.

A couple of days ago, I went to meet up with my friends and I had to get on the bus. I was so nervous about asking the bus driver for a ticket that I asked my mom what I should say and I practiced it over an over in my head so I wouldn't get it wrong. Of course, I had my usual mind blank thing where I stood there for a second, not knowing what I was supposed to do. The bus driver was obviously very busy that day and he was pretty impatient. I really panicked and I felt as though everyone on the bus thought I was stupid. I kept thinking about it for an hour while I waited for my friends to arrive (my friends were running late and I accidentally got on a really early bus bc I was so panicked about talking to the bus driver) After I was with my friends, I relaxed and calmed down but as soon as we said goodbye and I had to get on the bus again, I started panicking and the exact same thing happened again.
Recently, I feel like everyone is looking at me or judging me and it's got to the extent that people walking behind me on the street will be laughing and I'll start thinking they're laughing at me.
At school, I constantly feel like people are judging me or secretly making fun of me behind my back even though I know deep down that I'm just being paranoid.
When I have to order something at a restaurant with friends or something similar with a group of people all in the same situation, I always have to watch people going first with their order etc so that I can remember their exact words and repeat them so that I won't make a mistake.
With all these things, I am aware that I'm being stupid and paranoid but I can't stop myself from panicking or getting nervous. I don't know what to do[/size][/color][/font][/size][/color][/font]