View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
plutoniumweddingrings Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Riz

Points: 1,215, Level: 5 Points: 1,215, Level: 5 Points: 1,215, Level: 5

My dad feels like a stranger to me. - October 2nd 2020, 12:54 AM

Yeah I know that thread title is probably exaggerating the situation, but hear me out.

First, a little bit of background. My parents were separated ever since I was 9, and they finally got divorced this January. They never blamed me for the divorce; my mom watering the reason they broke up down to being mostly because of my dad breaking his promise about having another kid and therefore giving me a sibling. All in all, the whole situation was pretty easy for me, and I hardly even remember a time in which my parents were together.

So basically, my dad and I had a good relationship for most of my life so far, that was until I turned 12, and then things went pretty downhill from there. My dad and I have pretty much no similar interests, and he barely wants to do anything. He's extremely socially awkward and he barely talks to me. He never bothers to ask me about how I'm feeling; never bothering to help me out with my emotions or pretty much anything besides that glorious child support check he gives my mom every two weeks. Our political opinions are wildly different as well, so it sure is fun when he disrespects me or my friends with his bigoted bullshit.

Then there's him ignoring my aspergers diagnoses and never bothering to help back when I needed It most, but that's a whole other matter really.

Then of course, his girlfriend is another matter. She's a nice lady, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty obvious he likes being around her more than me. I just feel like I'm being replaced.

In the end, just going to his house every other weekend makes me feel depressed and it makes me wanna cry. My therapist says that maybe I could ask my mom if I can see him only once a month, but I just know that my mom would get mad at me and my dad would start shit again. My mom is stressed out enough, she doesn't need me or my dad making it worse.