(#49 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Presidential Election. - November 9th 2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Biiden can actually unify the country. Part of unifying is going to mean looking at his own party. It'll be interesting to see how he will work to bridge the gap between centrist dems and progressives. I actually just talked about this on my facebook page and one of my centrist dem friends tried to, initially, place most the blame on AOC (my article pertained to her stating she might leave politics due to the hostility) and then I called him on that and he back pedaled and said we need centrist dems for the swing/red states.

What I find most telling is that the Dems who back M4A won re-election (even in swing states) the Dems who did not were not re-elected. I read a quote that Tlaib made basically saying that it seemed like centrist dems are asking her and the progressives to stop working on implementing policies that would help black people.

I hope that Biden has learned from Trumps presidency and he will take the necessary steps to unify the country and his party. My hope is that he will get the centrist dems to talk more openly with progressives about the policy changes and way to implement those changes. Without the senate (two run offs in Georgia though) we cannot implement progressive policies but they can work together to come up with a strategy to gain more votes and then get to a place where they can start implementing those polices.
What I find aggravating about that debate is that Biden is a centrist who openly disavows BLM's policies and M4A. If he had won in a landslide, the centrists would've said it was because of his centrism. They were gonna disavow the left no matter what.

I dont think Biden will unify the country. I think there's a threshold for American unity thats about 60%, maybe 65%. There's so little trust in government that a lot of people in the right-wing conspiracy bubble (like QAnon) are just living on another planet. They'll never like Biden no matter what.
Its crazy to think about how presidents like Eisenhower and Kennedy could have consistent polling in the 60s and 70s- which is actually great, but it does show that some people in the opposite party just aren't swayable at all. Obama started his first term at 59% and slowly declined over time. If Biden genuinely improves peoples' lives (by listening to the Squad and Bernie on policy), I think he'll approach 60% approval, and thats the best I'll hope for in terms of national unity.
For reference, Trumps approval ranged from 36-46%. I guess that makes sense considering he lost the popular vote twice.