View Single Post
  (#51 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Presidential Election. - November 10th 2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Lol you are assuming the only issue at hand here is racism. Especially since Trump has (weirdly) never made any overtly racist comments despite your insistence to the contrary.
No, racism was not the only issue. There are numerous problems with Trumps last four years; issues that I am still grappling with and trying to understand.

What I can say is that there was passive racism involved in Trumps presidency. As I look back on the people in my life who have voted for Trump, I see that there were some people who were overtly racist and some who were not. I see people who I know are good people but hold views that do need to change. Looking back over the presidency and the current election I am realizing a number of different things and what it leaves me with is "How can I address the systemic racism that is ingrained within the USA while also trying to be objective?"

So, that is what I am doing. I am trying to figure out how I can address the systemic racism that exists within the United States while also trying to remain objective; without objectivity I am unsure if I can make a difference. Right now, I am still grappling with and trying to understand Trumps presidency. I haven't quite gotten there. Right now I am struggling with being objective enough to explain the issues with Trumps presidency while also trying to remain objective.

There are numerous articles I could supply to people pertaining to Trumps presidency and the divisiveness. There are plenty of books I can suggest (some I have read and some I have not) that address the greater scope of systemic racism.

Wrapping my head around it all is difficult and I am trying to do that right now. I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can provide knowledge that can lead to change or if it is hopeless. It seems quite hopeless and there are a number of reasons for that hopelessness.

Quote:
What I find aggravating about that debate is that Biden is a centrist who openly disavows BLM's policies and M4A. If he had won in a landslide, the centrists would've said it was because of his centrism. They were gonna disavow the left no matter what.

I dont think Biden will unify the country. I think there's a threshold for American unity thats about 60%, maybe 65%. There's so little trust in government that a lot of people in the right-wing conspiracy bubble (like QAnon) are just living on another planet. They'll never like Biden no matter what.
Its crazy to think about how presidents like Eisenhower and Kennedy could have consistent polling in the 60s and 70s- which is actually great, but it does show that some people in the opposite party just aren't swayable at all. Obama started his first term at 59% and slowly declined over time. If Biden genuinely improves peoples' lives (by listening to the Squad and Bernie on policy), I think he'll approach 60% approval, and thats the best I'll hope for in terms of national unity.
For reference, Trumps approval ranged from 36-46%. I guess that makes sense considering he lost the popular vote twice.
I have family and friends that are bashing the left and saying we need centrists more than we need progressives. I disagree. I think we need both. I know there are progressives who disagree with me on that but I think that progressives are gaining traction with the younger generation and if the centrists don't embrace some progressive policies than I could see them losing in a landslide in 2022 and 2024.

I asked my friends "How can any party, Dems or Republicans, go right back to what they were doing pre-Trump and not expect the same results in 2022 and 2024." I was truly hoping that both parties would walk away from this having learned something but it seems like the Dems are just as hesitant to change. This actually leaves me thinking that things aren't going to change.

I think that people came together in the fight to get Trump out of office. I do not think there were a ton of people my age and younger, who voted for Biden because they believed he was going to try and work on implementing policies that benefit them. I have been asking my centrist friends and family "What cause can we all come together on in 2022 and 2024? Trump won't be in office so what's gonna invigorate the younger generation into voting? It is likely that many of the Republicans who voted for Biden will not vote for the next Dem candidate." They never answer.

We cannot see change until both sides work on changing their views and working together. It'll be interesting to see what Biden does in the next four years and it will be interesting to see how voting goes in 2022.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.