Thread: Guinea pigs!
View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Guinea pigs! - December 4th 2020, 11:18 PM

Next week I should be getting guinea pigs if everything goes right I'll definitely show pictures when I get them. I ordered the supplies online but have to get the piggies after the supplies get here. Has anyone had some guinea piggies before who can share tips? I had them as a child and I definitely didn't do right by them and want to do so much better for them this time, so any tips are appreciated.

Here's what I have so far:

Housing:
I am getting two because I know that they like to have a buddy. I researched the size of the cage they need for two piggies and ordered that.
I know that they like a lot of hides, so I got them some hut type things.
I got them a little playpen for out-of-cage time.
I got a cage cleaner that Chewy had.
I got paper-based bedding.
My friend said they can be litter box trained so I got a little litter box for the cage, LOL.

Food:
I ordered food, of course haha.
I ordered hay. I hear they also like piles of it to burrow in so I'll make sure to stack some.
I know they can be low on Vitamin C sometimes so I got them some supplemental vitamin C.
When I get them, I heard they like bell peppers, so I will be buying some. I didn't want to buy those in advance because I didn't want them to rot. I will also get carrots, but I heard those should be more of a treat.
I wasn't sure if each guinea pig needed their own food and water bowl, so I got two of each.

Toys:
I got them toys for enrichment. A lot of them are chew toys because I know that they need to wear down their teeth. Some of them are little chew toys that double as balls.

Grooming:
The grooming kit I wanted was out of stock so I had them notify me when it comes back in stock. It has some little brushes in it and nail clippers. I also bought this thing that you use to stop bleeding if you cut their nails too far down. I am really nervous about clipping their nails though so please help! I will also watch videos before I ever try it.

Handling:
Obviously I want to handle my piggies, but how much should I handle them when I first get them? I don't want them to freak out. I was thinking maybe for the first few days I can pet their noses through the cage and talk to them and things like that? Or, is there something else you suggest I do? Is there anything special I can do when I handle them to make them happy?

Any other tips would be appreciated? I really want them to have a good quality of life. I know I was a kid when I last had guinea pigs but I feel very guilty about how they were treated. I've obviously learned since then. I know they are going to do a lot to help me and my moods and I definitely want them to be happy too.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.