View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

My Shrimp Pad Thai - December 8th 2020, 11:44 AM

My Shrimp Pad Thai is not for the faint hearted. This is hot, about 9 on the richter scale. But it's very very good because it's my recipe and I run a tight ship.

You'll need:

8 ounces pad thai noodles
2 tablespoons nam pla (Asian fish sauce)
3 tablespoons light brown sugar (Billington's is very good)
one-quarter cup fresh lime juice*, plus lime wedges
3 Thai bird-eye chillies (take the seeds out if it's gonna be too much)
one-quarter cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, or canola oil
thinly sliced shallots - 3
3 minced garlic cloves

16 ounces shelled and de-veined medium shrimp

either 3 medium eggs, OR, 2 large eggs, beaten
about 5 spring onions (scallions, but not less than 4)
bean sprouts, coriander **, roasted shelled peanuts

* roll the limes hard on the worktop, you'll get more juice out of em!

** If no coriander, parsley is just as good

Put the noodles in a large bowl, cover with hot water just off the boil. Let them soak for about 5 minutes until they are bendy. Transfer to a colander and drain, shaking and tossing the noodles a few times to rid the water.

In a small bowl, whisk the nam pla, the light brown sugar, lime juice and chillies.

Grab a non-stick pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering under the heat.

Add the shallots and garlic and cook over a high heat, stirring a little until lightly browned - About 3 minutes should do.

Add the noodles and stir-fry until heated all the way through. Should take about 2 minutes.

Add the shrimp and cook, stirring until they begin to curl and turn pink, this taking about 2 minutes.

Put the noodles and shrimp to one side of the pan and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the empty side of the pan.

Add the eggs and cook, stirring as and when until nearly set - takes about 1 minute.

Add the spring onions (scallions) and toss everything together. Try and keep the eggs mostly intact. Add the nam pla mixture and stir-fry until the noodles are all coated nicely: about 2 to 3 minutes.

Transfer the pad thai to a platter. Top with the roasted peanuts, coriander, the bean sprouts and serve with them lime wedges.

If anyone makes this, please tell us.

Enjoy!