(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Covid anxiety - December 10th 2020, 10:26 PM

Hello Hollie

I also live in the UK and know just what an awful ride you went through, and the heartache of watching daily news of increasing covid infections and deaths. I so feel for you *Hugs* Keeping calm is the key; I'll be touching that shortly....

I love writing and using pencil in my notebook or journal is so pleasureful because unlike pens, graphite pencils glide across paper in a silky, mood-lifting way. Or a favourite fountain pen. Making scrapbooks is helpful as it tasking 'Instaprints' with a cheapie camera, like the old Polaroids.

I love jigsaw puzzles. Oh - and watching You Tube. Such as the adorable Emily Cricket talking to us about her 'happiness box'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xovSuFsi7q4&t=1s

I particularly like her Nerf Gun.

So, keeping calm is the key, but be specially vigilant for washing your hands even after handling postal mail, parcels etc. After opening, spray your hands and the scissors with a hand sanitizer. This comes so 2nd nature to me that I've long lost the anxiety that used to pervade my senses.

And taking exercise will greatly help lift anxiety because walking, or running or jogging if you are able, is the best exercise for lowering stress, boredom and worry.

You could do some relaxation exercises that are easy, and I hvae a goodun to share with you.

Relaxation Technique.

The key to deep breathing is to breathe deeply from your abdomen, getting as much fresh air as possible in your lungs. When we take deep breaths from the abdomen, rather than shallow breaths from our upper chest, we get to inhale more oxygen. The more oxygen we get, the less tense, short of breath, and anxious we feel.

Try this.

1. Sit comfy with a straight back.

2. Breathe in through your nose. The hand on your stomach should rise. The hand on your chest should move very little. That’s what I found.

3. Exhale through your mouth, pushing out as much air as you can while contracting your abdominal muscles, like I did. The hand on your stomach should move in as you exhale, but your other hand should move very little, that’s what I found.

4. Continue to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to inhale enough so that your lower abdomen rises and falls. Count slowly as you exhale. Slowly, after a few of these deep breaths, your anxiety begins melting away.

If you find it difficult breathing from your abdomen while sitting up, try lying down. Put a small book on your stomach, and breathe so that the book rises as you inhale and falls as you exhale. You can do this on your bed, or on a sofa.

Another method involves pets. Out of all the pets, cats have been scientifically proven to be the most relaxing animals. This, however, does not mean none of the other pets aren’t relaxing! When you have a pet, you can usually train it to be loyal. You can stroke it, comfort it, and be comforted by it.

I'm always around if you'd like to write. Pop by and leave me a message on my wall.

All my best,
Wendi