DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: How do you deal your depression right now? - December 15th 2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyson Wood View Post
I am depressed right now and I don't know what to do. This pandemic brings so many problems for me. Can you help me? How do you deal with your depression during these uncertain times?

I can only sympathize that today's news is no better than previously. But take heart. I have a few suggestions that might help.
It's easy to slip into the habit of sleeping late, spending all day in your pajamas and eating junk food, but looking after yourself is essential for your mental health. Even simple tasks such as showering can feel difficult sometimes, but they can make a big difference to the way you feel.

Ensure you are in a well-ventilated room and following basic self-care, sleeping, eating and drinking water - flavoured water such as orange squash relieves the tasteless boredom of water. Consider getting food delivered or asking a friend to drop food off for you. Being at home all the time can affect your appetite. Talking to your doctor would help, so arrange a telephone consultation, but keep your time with them short. Make a note of two, but no more than three major concerns. If you are on depression medication your doctor might adjust it.

If feeling anxious or low or both, taking a brisk walk can boost your mood. If you have a garden go out to it and get some sunshine if the weather allows. Taking a supplement such as Vitabiotics 'Ultra Vitamin D3 50ug would be beneficial, but it is important that ask your doctor's advice first.

Exercise can be simple if you have stairs, a few walks up and down will increase cardiac strength and breathing and make you feel good, because your body will release feel-good endorphins that brighten our mood.

Write down any thoughts and feelings into a journal or notebook really helps. Pen or pencil-to-paper, written down is as good as spoken out loud. Reaffirm yourself out loud: "I am going to win this! I will not allow anxiety to grind me down!"

Limit watching TV news, especially before bedtime. Because it can take are a few negative comments from an idiot politician to let us take their doom and gloom to bed. That is neither helpful of TV news or the person who said it. Try reading a book before bedtime, maybe a re-read of a favourite author.

Be kind to friend and call them, see how they are. Talk about anything, ask what they've been doing.

Be kind to yourself. If you don't feel up to doing anything, though, that's fine too. It's important to be kind to yourself and recognise when you need a break.

There will always be hard news on TV. But we can be in control of that by not listening except to important government announcements. Then turn the telly over to a cartoon program. You will always smile seeing Donald Duck or one of your favourite cartoon characters. Because it is laughter in
life that can be so healing, even when you don’t feel like laughing but seeing cartoon characters fool around can't stop making us smile.

I get through difficult times by deep thinking, sometimes critical thinking if the problem will not go away, then for that I'll go walking in nature, making a gratitude list, petting our stray cat, treating myself to things, self care, and friends, such as helping a friend or volunteering while bearing in mind social distancing, or when in heavy traffic, forgiving a driver in traffic that cuts you off, or saying something nice to a shop assistant.

Make an instant gratitude list right now. I am grateful I could walk 2 miles today, I am productively writing this piece, and I have friends who support me. If you have none of these, be grateful for the sun shining, the Indian takeaway down the street or that you have your eyesight. Or go walking in the woods, mindfulness, Zoom or You Tube topics of interest.

Wishing you all my best

Wendi
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.