View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Essential Oils - December 24th 2020, 10:32 AM

Special thanks to Brittany (.Brittany.) and Cassie (cynefin) for their informative and very useful blog on Essential Oils.

I regularly use essential oils for Aromatherapy using a diffuser that contains filtered tap water. It is used for calming my sister and I, and our Maman, and these delightful aromas can have a significant affect on our moods, without us needing to use a doctor-prescribed calming medication. The oils I buy are from the UK called Absolute Aromas. I find them better and a lot more economical than other makers such as Tisserand, but this is only a personal point of view. I tried many, but decided that the maker I chose produced much better results.

Important Note: There are some specific safety warnings when using essential oils. These are:
  • Causes serious eye irritation
  • Causes skin irritation
  • Contains citronellol. May produce an allergic reaction.
  • Contains sensitizing substances. May produce an allergic reaction. Always read the label and product information before use.
  • Flammable liquid and vapour
  • May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways
  • May cause an allergic skin reaction
  • Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
  • Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
The essential oils I use are specific though self-explanatory:

Goodnight: Lavender, Marjoram, Geranium, Chamomile.

Relaxation: Lavender, Chamomile, Clary Sage.

Breatheasy: Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Cajeput, Niaouli, Ravintsara.

Noel (Christmas): Orange, Cinnamon, Clove, Pine, Frankincense, Myrrh.

Essential oils when used carefully have an instant effect on our mood, so I keep a collection of various, stored in a locked box out of reach of children. These oils are light-sensitive, hence the lid. Also I use reed diffusers for the cloakroom.

For skin application, I use essential oils that have to be diluted before use.

The 'Goodnight' essential oil mixture, which also smells incredibly good, requires a carrier oil to dilute so it can be safely applied to pulse points. I mixed 8 drops in 20 ml of Argan Oil and then applied to my pulsating skin around 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime. This Goodnight oil mixture is very productive, as you need it as a massage oil for 100ml base oil about 30-40 drops. I keep mine separately in a brown glass bottle, so-labelled for one's specific use. It is important to label all bottles that use a carrier oil for specific use: purely for safety, and not rely on your nose!

You can also drip a few drops on your handkerchief and put right next to the pillow. However, I haven't tried that yet. There is a misting version I also have yet to try. By amalgamating carrier oils with essential oils, this, I find, is the most effective yet cheapest of all.

The smell is really pleasant and the typical scent of lavender oil does not dominate here.

This aroma is warm and soothing, just the right thing for a long restful sleep.

A few drops in an aroma diffuser can be instantaneously effective when used in the sitting room. My aroma diffuser has a capacity of 500ml filtered water. Used as an effective humidifier, it can produce up to 30ml of moisture per hour. Can be used as an Aromatherapy Diffuser / Humidifiers / Air Purifier / Night Light.

Using the Relaxation essential oil, it's astonishing how our moods can change once essential oils are dropped into a diffuser, and this mix of Lavender, Chamomile and Clary Sage feels so good that I'm ready for sleep. I use a diffuser in our bedroom. It's light colours can be set to one colour, bathing our bedroom in a soft relaxing glow.

The Breatheasy is lovely in a diffuser or in a vapourizer. Julie's asthma, often caused by her Long Covid can make her breathless. This essential oil mix has greatly relieved her breathlessness and all that is needed are only 6 drops that can last up to 6 hours in my diffuser, and that ensures Julie a restful uninterrupted sleep.

The Noel aromatherapy oil is lovely. It's a fantastic oil, a real scent of Christmas that sweetly lingers for a long time. Again, it is used in my water diffuser. We love it.