View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Weighted Blankets - January 12th 2021, 12:26 PM

Edited: Below is an extract from a blog post on '20 Benefits of Weighted Blanket Therapy'

Weighted blankets were initially created to help people with sensory processing disorders like autism, as a non-medicated and natural form of therapy to help ease their anxieties or to calm them down when stressed.
Weighted blankets creates a sense of being swaddled. The physical connection that you feel provides warmth and security, helping the body relax. These have been researched to help with:

General stress, insomnia
Anxiety before sleeping
Arthritis, fibromyalgia, and general body pain
Mood disorders like depression and anxiety

Our weighted blanket is due to arrive this afternoon according to my phone notification. I hope it will help Julie and me enjoy a good night's sleep. When the weighted blanket stimulates serotonin, melatonin hormones are also released -- promoting sleep and helping regulate the sleep cycle. Overall, the blanket’s pressure provides a calming, soothing environment that is conducive to sleep, so the tense, anxious, restless person gets the sleep they need, or so it is claimed in Sweden.

A weighted blanket provides a gentle yet deep pressure that goes deep within the body. Researchers have found that this “deep touch pressure stimulation” which promotes the release of two brain chemicals -- dopamine and serotonin which have a calming effect that combats anxiety, stress, and depression.

Psychologists say that the weighted material may be effective because it produces a light touch sensation whenever you move under the blanket. This may feel like a caress. The sensation may stimulate the release of hormones/brain chemicals that soothe the nervous system, reducing anxiety.

So, we'll see.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.

Last edited by Celyn; January 27th 2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Crediting original author