View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Dealing with burnout - January 19th 2021, 10:14 PM

The best place to start is where your loss of motivation began. You mentioned that your uncle has Covid-related pneumonia. This I feel, is the start of where your dip in motivation began. Your mind is elsewhere and you cannot focus on your job. I don't think it would matter what job you were doing, even if you're content in doing it. A member of your family is going through something serious and you worry about them very much. It's human nature to have your focus split. Emotionally you're concerned for your uncle, while practically, you're trying to keep up with every day life which happens to be your job. It's not easy to focus when something in life throws you a ball like the one you've been given.

I agree with Hollie. See if your workplace offers some form of support, or perhaps somebody you can chat with. It's better to let your colleagues (and potentially your boss) know what's going on rather than to stay silent and keep everything inside. If you discuss it with them, they may be able to offer additional solutions, or at least give you a bit of space and/or take away some of the slack during work hours.

Is there any way that you can get in contact with your uncle and see how he's doing? Sometimes it can be helpful to know how our loved ones are doing, for better or for worse. This eliminates any time wondering what's going on and thinking about how they're doing. The more you know, the better you may be. I think the obvious downside of this, is to find out his condition has worsened, but whether you would prefer to know either way, is something only you can determine.

Have you considered chatting to any family and/or friends about what's going on? They can offer additional support and may be able to help in one way or another.