(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Ways to Make You Feel Better - Parts 1 + 2 - January 23rd 2021, 01:33 PM

Ways to Make You Feel Better - Part - 2

(Edited: Content from 'Relaxation Techniques for Stress Relief) and '23 small things you can do every day that will make you happier'

Relaxation techniques.

The key to deep breathing is to breathe deeply from your abdomen, getting as much fresh air as possible in your lungs like I did. When we take deep breaths from the abdomen, rather than shallow breaths from our upper chest, we get to inhale more oxygen. The more oxygen we get, the less tense, short of breath, and anxious we feel.

1. Sit comfy with a straight back.

2. Breathe in through your nose. The hand on your stomach should rise. The hand on your chest should move very little. That's what I found.

3. Exhale through your mouth, pushing out as much air as you can while contracting your abdominal muscles, like I did. The hand on your stomach should move in as you exhale, but your other hand should move very little, that's what I found.

4. Continue to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to inhale enough so that your lower abdomen rises and falls. Count slowly as you exhale. Slowly, after a few of these deep breaths, your anxiety begins melting away.

If you find it difficult breathing from your abdomen while sitting up, try lying down. Put a small book on your stomach, and breathe so that the book rises as you inhale and falls as you exhale. You can do this on your bed, or on a sofa.

5. Don't treat me any differently once you know about the panic.

6. Don't force me to go someplace I feel very uncomfortable about going. Do not surprise me by doing it anyhow.

7. And if I leave early, please try to understand. Don't bad mouth me behind my back and then let me hear about it later.

Some time ago I read a lovely story called "The Colour of Ink". (Edited).

"This is one of the strongest tools, in my opinion, to help me through panic. And by this I mean just TALK to me, about anything or nothing at all. Talk about the clouds, the grass I am standing on, the light across from me, THE COLOUR OF INK. Talk about the different colours ink comes in nowadays. These little calm thoughts send me messages that I am ok and that life is calm. Ink comes in many colours and we can even name them - very calm talk about nothing at all and I am under control."

Another method involves pets. Out of all the pets, cats have been scientifically proven to be the most relaxing animals. This, however, does not mean none of the other pets aren't relaxing! When you have a pet, you can usually train it to be loyal. You can stroke it, comfort it, and be comforted by it. For instance, if you take a dog out for a walk you can see it is enjoying itself. For me though I don't have a dog now, this gave me a wonderful feeling and made me feel happier for the rest of the day. If you own a dog, going a run with it may be a good idea as it can help take out anger and stress on the pavement. Or if you own another well loved pet, spend time with it whenever you can.

Some more very useful tips on relaxation can be found here: HELPGUIDE.ORG

Notebook and pen time: Put your feelings into words. Express whatever you're feelings, either by talking to someone or writing it down. Scientific research shows that putting feelings into words calms activity in the amygdala, the part of the brain responsible for processing our emotions.

Don't fight the feelings: Anxiously telling yourself you shouldn't be feeling this could actually increase your anxiety levels. Float...yes, float with the feelings as if you're on a fluffy cloud up in the sky, accepting they are temporary is calming and soothing.

Reserve a regular slot in your day to spend quality time dedicated to the things that worry you. Focus on the present. This will enable you accept and let go of what you cannot control. It also will help you realize that you can't change the past; that the future hasn't happened yet; therefore, it's a waste of time to keep thinking about them.

Write things in your notebook. Scribbling your worries on paper allows you to return to them later. You don't have to dismiss them completely, and you can feel comfortable knowing you will revisit the concern. Know that writing occupies your mind and reduces the power to overthink. When thoughts are in your mind, they feel chaotic. Putting them on paper organizes them or a computer document. A few precious minutes with your notebook and your mind will be calmer. If it's helpful, set a time limit for considering them before returning to them later.

Exercise. As well as releasing tension and releasing endorphins (those feel-good neurotransmitters), it's a recognised fact that walking, running or even cycling can be as effective and medicine by relieving symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Accept and appreciate your body. Social media bombarding us with images that focus on youth and thinness can make us feel badly about our bodies, especially when we focus more on how our bodies look than on what our bodies can do. What's more, the image we have of ourselves usually bears no relation to the reality. Media images are unrealistic, often airbrushed and manipulated to look ultra cool and fashionable. Perhaps this is one good reason to unsubscribe from media accounts that only show idealized views of appearance or those things that cause you to feel inadequate.

Focus on aspects of your body that are not appearance-related. I try to remind myself of this on days that I hate my appearance. All of the cells in my body somehow know how to help, to repair and grow for me. I don't need to worry, for my body cells just do it. So whenever I feel sad, I must remember that there are billions of cells in my body and all they care about is me.

Hate your mirror? Stand in front of it and list 3 things you like about your body: Your eyes and the depth of their colour; your hair; your fingernails. And then think of 3 best personal qualities that you really like about yourself.

Affirmation

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.

Last edited by Celyn; January 27th 2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Crediting original author