DeletedAccount53 Offline
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Build Up. - January 26th 2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight. View Post
I don't really post much on Teenhelp in regards to how I'm going, simply because I think I have everything under control. This time, however, I feel like I don't. At the same time, I wouldn't say I am losing control as such but I just believe that I'm barely holding on as well.

And it's all down to work. I work with children and have done so for the last 10 years. To put it nicely, I no longer wish to work in this industry anymore because I don't have the passion for the job nor is my wage high enough for my level of experience or for my qualification. I've been trying desperately for a very long time to find another job where I can make more than what I do now. I don't expect to be making a shit ton of money every year (though that would be nice ), I would love to be making enough where I can live comfortably and where I don't have to be working 2 jobs. I often work 6-7 days a week, which is taking a toll on my physical and mental health for obvious reasons and I feel guilty for not spending as much time as I can with my boyfriend or family. I often neglect things that I love to do such as reading and I don't have the motivation to study or spend longer at the gym to complete a proper session. I haven't been eating as well as I should have and I genuinely have been riddled with anxiety and frustration at myself for not being more motivated to do things.

Without intending to come across as patronising, but you have done extremely well working with children these last 10 years, in a job that would drive me round the bend! And now Julie and I have a preteen sister, we'll probably soon be preaching to the choir.

You mentioned working 6 to 7 days a week; I'd say you're heading for burnout, nevermind wanting a new career. I know how anxiety can get to me because it affects my appetite, makes me a grumpybum and I know full well I should get on and tackle what worries me, but the bugbear is everyone else's: the covid crisis.

But there is one sure way that can help you take stock over a new career is to get relaxed, and that sure way is reading. Reading relaxes like no other (apart from a nighttime scotch, but I digress). If you and your boyfriend can take some time out and reach that relaxed state, then you will be to rationalize where you want to go in a new job.

This morning I was writing to a friend and gave her a couple of useful sites to browse, one of which was 'Prospects'.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ ; namely job sectors: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ce/job-sectors

So maybe this site could help you narrow down some options. Best go to it when you're chilled with a nice cup of tea and your hoofies up.

This type of work must be so draining, but have you some friends you could talk to? Ones who can be trusted to keep schtum and search around for you, because delegating a problem out can multiply your chances of finding a nice job that would suit you.

I've saved a lot by washing cars, 3/4 of them posh, but you need stamina for that. Done dog walking, too, but I took out personal liability insurance as a precaution. But if I find a money-making idea that won't zap your energy, I'll pm you.

Sarah mentioned job agencies. That's a goodun. But when you need to write an email, here is a wonderful site, "How to write an email with military precision". https://hbr.org/2016/11/how-to-write...tary-precision

Well, all my very best. Hugs.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.