View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Bipolar II Screening - February 3rd 2021, 02:12 AM

I'm using an antidepressant, yes, but I am also using a mood stabilizer that is commonly used to treat bipolar disorder and is especially effective in Bipolar II disorder. I am also on two other medications, so four total, and just got prescribed a PRN as well, so that'll make five. Besides the PRN, I was on the four medications well before I was diagnosed with bipolar and used those four medications throughout grad school. I was on at least two of them during undergrad, and definitely could use the PRN at points during work. However, it's a controlled substance so I have to wait for the roads to be clearer to Uber there to pick it up.

I do fall into a depression. From what I understand, unlike Bipolar I, Bipolar II is characterized by more severe depressive episodes, whereas Bipolar I is characterized by more severe mania. I definitely have more episodes of depression, but the hypomania is harder to deal with than the depression in some ways because I am "used" to the depression. The fast speech thing you mentioned though, I understand that because that's been my normal speech pattern all my life. She actually asked me if I spoke slower than usual, which is definitely a no.

I also definitely do sleep (on a weird sleep schedule, sure), but when I am able, I sleep way too much. I can sleep 12-14 hours at a time and still be tired. When I have to be awake I try to nap, although unfortunately with work that's not been possible lately. Sleeping too much is also a symptom of bipolar II. Honestly I've been chronically fatigued since at least my freshman year of high school so it could be a mix of things. I've also had some form of mental illness since the 8th grade though.

I trust the diagnosis of my professional at this time, but I will be sure to get a second opinion if I deem it necessary. Thank you for the response though and your thoughts!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive